November 12, 2002

Riddles

Do you see what I see? We agree that what we see is green, but what actually is green? Green might be red for you and yellow for me, you might have called red, green all your life and I might have called yellow, green all my life. Strange that we have come all this way as a civilisation based on such fundamental assumptions that might even be based on facts that never existed in the first place.

Is the look that I see in your eyes really there or is it just the way it has been all the time? Or is it that I am calling your same emotion under a different name today? Or it is just that you see green and I want to see red, so I see red. But it remains green for you. Then again, even if we agree it is green that we both see, how can you be sure that it is not red that you see and yellow that I see. Still we manage to spend whole lifetimes together based on such understandings. Or misunderstandings?