After so many failed attempts and flukes, the new design is up finally.
Not a very sophisticated design or even adventurous, but I guess these are its good points.
1) Bye bye to tables, only CSS
2) Even with the post and the blogspot banner the total lines of code comes to just above 200 lines, loads considerably faster than the previous design
3) Easy on the eye
4) Valid CSS
The sore points are
1) Too Dull
2) Mozilla based browsers are currently having some problema that I need to look into
3) Pointless trying to make it validate as HTML 4.x or XHTML because issues with the way Blogger uses para tags and of course the banner on top
4) Too many niggles that need to be cleaned up